Home | Constituent Services | Help with a Federal Agency

Help with a Federal Agency

You can always contact Congressman Tonko's office at (518) 465-0700 for assistance with a federal agency. However, you may be able to resolve concerns on your own with the answers to several of the most frequently asked questions.

Caseworkers work to address problems or concerns a resident of the 20th District of New York may have with a federal government agency. Examples include problems receiving Social Security benefits, disability, or difficulties with visa applications. Although Members of Congress cannot guarantee a particular outcome, if you live in New York's 20th Congressional District, Congressman Tonko's office will work to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem. If you are not sure which congressional district you live in, please visit www.house.gov. You can enter your address and zip code to determine your Congressional Representative.

Congressman Tonko's office cannot help you if your problem is not with a federal agency. Due to the Constitutional separation of powers between the three branches of government, judicial matters (matters which involve courts) do not fall under Congressman Tonko's jurisdiction as a U.S. Representative. To learn more about judicial matters and how you can receive assistance, please visit www.nycourts.gov.

Further, problems which involve New York State agencies are not under Congressman Tonko's jurisdiction as a U.S. Representative. State and local issues are handled by your elected state and local representatives. You can find their contact information by visiting assembly.state.ny.us or www.nysenate.gov/find-my-senator.

Please do not hesitate to contact my office at (518) 465-0700, should this be a time-sensitive matter, or if you have any questions about this process.

Click Here To Request Help

Stay Connected