Member Designated Projects for Highways and Transit Projects
The office of Congressman Paul Tonko will accept requests for Member Designated Projects for Highways and Transit projects through the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure’s surface transportation reauthorization legislation. Through the Committee’s program, Members of Congress will be able to request funding for specific projects in their districts to serve the public good.
The Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure intends to fund Member Designated Projects on a limited basis. Capital projects included on a State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) or a designated metropolitan area’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) are eligible for funding. Projects included on the STIP or TIP already have been certified as eligible for Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) or Federal Transit Administration (FTA) funding and do not require further verification of eligibility.
For projects not on the STIP or TIP, the Committee will require additional documentation, including:
- Verification whether the project can be added to the STIP or TIP in a reasonable timeframe if the funding request is included in the legislation;
- Whether the project is on a long-range transportation plan; and
- Verification of eligibility for the proposed activity under title 23 or chapter 53 of title 49 by the relevant federal agency.
The new Member Designated Project program is being implemented with accountability measures to ensure a responsible and transparent process. The Committee has made it clear that there is limited funding for the projects and subsequently the office will not be able to accommodate every request received. Further, all Member Designated Project submissions are required to be posted online to ensure full transparency. Therefore, all information submitted by a requesting organization should be considered public information. The Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure will also establish an online, searchable public database of all Member Designated Project requests received by the Committee.
Only eligible requests that meet all the guidelines established by the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure will be accepted and considered:
- Documentation that the project is on the State, Tribal, or territorial transportation improvement program (STIP); and on the metropolitan transportation improvement program (TIP), if applicable
Sources of funding for the full share of the cost of the project beyond the amount requested
- Letter(s) of support from the State department of transportation, or local government, transit agency, or other non-Federal sponsor
- A description of the process that has been or will be followed to provide an opportunity for public comment on the project
- Project phase (e.g. Planning, Final Design, Construction)
- NEPA category of action (e.g. Categorical Exclusion, Environmental Assessment, Environmental Impact Statement)
- Status of environmental review
- Whether the project has received Federal funding previously, and if so, the source and amount
The deadline for submission of Member Designated Project requests is Tuesday April 20, 2021 at 6:00 PM EST.
|Required fields are followed by *.